Wednesday, August 30, 2006

We Made It!

Praise God, I can now say we have made it safely to Nairobi!

After saying goodbye to many of you over the past few days, I must say that leaving Chicago, I struggled with a mixture of ideas and emotions... my soul was longing for a place I had never been, but my heart was crying out for everything I had to leave behind. Needless to say I was more than a little sad, luckily the friends I made at orientation were wonderful and supportive and understood what I was going through, and even more than that, the God who created me and who knows me inside and out remains constant, especially in our struggles.
"Christ is all and is in all."
Colossians 3:11
This verse has developed a special meaning to me in the past few days... it has provided me comfort and the promise of God's presence always.
As soon as I boarded the plane to Kenya, I knew that it was right. I had the most overwhelming feeling of peace and sheer excitement. After months of preparation and years of calling, I was on my way to Africa, AFRICA!
We left Chicago at 5:50 Monday evening and after a short yet eventful layover in London (they really mean it when they say your carry-on must be SMALL) we boarded a plane for Nairobi! We arrived at the Jomo Kenyatta airport at 8:50 pm Tuesday night and spent our first night in Kenya at the Precious Blood Boarding house in the city. I slept under a huge mosquito net, had hot tea for breakfast this morning, and took the coldest shower of my life... three things I am told I will be getting used to over the next twelve months! I cannot wait for the days and weeks ahead as I get to learn more about these people, their language, and their customs!
I know that God was here before me, I know that He is here with me now, and I know He will remain here once I am gone... I only hope to see His work and His love in those that I meet.

1 comment:

Libby Hunter said...

Hey girl, so good to hear how you are! sounds like you had fun with your backpack, guess my help wasnt enough! but im glad you made it ok. i think of you often! emails are due.